Thursday, 13 August 2015

Why life is not a beach for wheelchair users

Source: The Guardian


Beach wheelchairs could help disabled people like me access British beaches and make a splash while on holiday, so why don’t we have more of them?


I’m a big fan of beach holidays, and although in a wheelchair with primary progressive multiple sclerosis, I have always found a way to get to the water. Summers in south Devon often involve sweating mates and family, improbable terrain, me hanging on to someone’s back or perching precariously in my chair, before I’m ritually offloaded into the surf and the bracing waters of the Channel. Fifteen minutes later, I’ll be dragged out again, like a drowned seal. On one hand it’s a truly invigorating experience; on the other it can be quite humiliating.  Read on.